Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Accident

So Olivia had her first visit to urgent care and became my first child to require stitches a few weeks ago. Let me tell the story, it was a Tuesday morning and we were getting ready to head out to the library to see one of their summer activities that were going on. Savannah and I were ready and Olivia was in my room doing who knows what but suddenly I heard her screaming!!! When she came around the corner her hair on her forehead was covered in blood and it was starting to come down her nose. I tried my hardest to remain calm but I was a bit frantic trying to figure out what happened. I pulled her hair back and saw an oval shaped whole in her forehead and knew it wasn't good. We quickly scratched the idea about going to the library I asked Olivia what happened and she told me she hit her head on the corner of my bedroom dresser. I called her doctors office who said Urgent Care or the Emergency room were going to be good options for me since she would most likely need stitches. So off to Urgent Care we went, surprisingly we got back fairly fast and then waited forever to see the doctor. The funny part was that once we left the house Olivia stopped crying and just whimpered every now and then but pretty much acted normal for the most part. Once the doctor had a look she confirmed that Olivia did indeed need 2 or 3 stitches and that's where the fun began. The poor thing had to get shots to numb her forehead which she did fairly good with until the end. That's when she started crying and I started kicking myself for not bringing her blanket or a stuffed animal or something! When they went to put in the stitches Olivia freaked out and kept saying it hurt her even thought her head had to be so numb there is no way it could have been. I think she though it was more shots and was just done. After a few tries and Olivia crying the doctor decided to just tape her up really good. Either way she was going to end up with a scar and this way she wouldn't freak out as bad and be even more traumatized. We got to leave with this awesome huge band-aid on Olivia's forehead and every time we had to take it out we'd pull some of her hair off with it. Olivia was doing so well though afterwards that we kept her Occupational and Physical therapy appointments for the day. Needless to say all the happenings of the day whipped her out and she took a nap that afternoon which is so unlike my kids.


These last two shots were the next day, when we took her band-aid off we accidentally pulled some of the tape off with it so we had to run to the store to buy more. After a week she could take the tape off and stop wearing the band-aid. Everything is still healing and her scare is less noticeable every day thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment