Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day


Valentine's day this year was just perfect! It started on Saturday when I was leaving to go to the store to pick up a few last minute things for a project I was working on. While I was getting everything together Jacob told me I should pick up some flowers for myself since I'd been bugging him about getting me something. I don't know if he was serious or not but I went ahead and got myself a dozen yellow roses. I love them! They are next to my sink and I put some next to my side of the bed. Its amazing how they brighten up the house and my mood whenever I see them. On Valentine's day I decided to do fun projects with Savannah so we started out by making cards for all her little friends and of course we had to make one for Jacob. She had fun coloring and helping me pick out paper to put on each card. It was pretty cute to watch her hand out her Valentine's.

Next we had to have a fantastic Valentine's day breakfast so we made buckwheat strawberry chocolate chip pancakes with buttermilk syrup and of course powdered sugar. All I will say is they were to die for! Poor Olivia just keep staring at each bite I'd take just hoping I'd decided to share with her. She had applesauce with brown rice instead and seemed quite content.

A friend of ours had invited us over for dinner and I was in charge of bringing rolls. I looked in the freezer to see if I had any Rhodes Rolls cause that's what I usually do and low and behold I was out! So what do you do but make your own homemade rolls. That's right people I made homemade rolls and for my first time they weren't that bad. Next time I think I'll cook them for just a bit longer though.
So the afternoon is ticking by and Jacob still wasn't home from work...finally at almost 5 he shows up (an hour later then usual.) When he walks in Savannah runs up to him and waits for Jacob to pick her up like he always does but instead he bends over to kiss her and I can tell there is something in his shirt. I of course get so excited cause I know he got me a present and I can't wait to find out what it is. I was actually just putting the finishing touches on his present so I went to the other room real quick. When I came back I was looking around and didn't see any sign of a present finally he told me to look in the Pantry and there it was...The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook! I follow this gals blog and am just in love with her. When Jacob and I were at the store 2 weeks ago I saw her cookbook and told him how much I wanted it and he remembered. I seriously almost cried because even though I had asked him to try and make this year a little special (we hadn't really celebrated Valentine's Day for the past 3 years) I didn't really think he'd do anything. It was amazing to see how this simple gift just melted my heart and made me realize even more how much I love this man.
Now around 5:30 we headed to our friends for dinner and had AMAZING dutch oven! I'm not joking I had two servings of dinner and I didn't even get a picture of the peach cobbler we had with ice cream, once again I had two helpings. We stayed and hung out cause I wanted to watch the Bachlor, I know I'm addicted to it now! We'll addicted is a bit strong but I'm totally into it and I just started watching 2 weeks ago. Jacob ended up taking the girls home and putting them to bed. After I got home we heard a knock on Savannah's door at almost 10, I went to see what she wanted and as soon as she saw me she gasped. She then grabbed my hand pulled me down and wrapped her arms around me, she patted my back and told me she loved me. I asked her what she needed and she asked me for more milk. I had her get back in bed and she gave me her cup, I gave her a kiss and told her how much I loved her. She looked at me and said "I love you too mommy." I almost cried right then and there. I got her milk and took it in to her where she once again told me she loved me and said night. It was just the best Valentine's day ever because I was able to spend it with 3 of the most important people in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I also like Ree! I tried the enchiladas from her cookbook and they are delicious! You need uninterrupted time however to complete them so probably a good recipe to make when Jacob can watch the girls *they also freeze really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun blog is 71toes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete