Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lesson Learned

Olivia had her 18 month check-up this morning. She's right at the 50th percentile for everything which is fine with me since she was always in the 8th or 12th for her weight. She's now 23lbs and I honestly forget how tall they told me she was...the more I think of it they didn't tell me how tall she is, oh well. She got a shot and her doctor and I discussed her recent visit with her Neurologist. We still have concerns with her right ankle which really doesn't have much flexibility and her right thumb is a bit tight as well. This gives us two outcomes when Olivia tries to hold something in her right hand (a rare occurrence anyway) either she can't get a good enough grasp on the object and she gives up or she gets a good hold on whatever she's aiming for and then can't let go. Poor girl, its so sad to see her get so frustrated with her limitations but I love that she still tries to do those things she puts her mind to. Dr Black is sending over 2 referrals, one for an Occupational Therapy eval and then another Physical Therapy eval since she's now older and she's starting to fall behind a bit.
So what does this picture have to do with going to the doctors you may ask? Well Olivia was perfect at her appointment! She sat still and was quite while the doctor was listening to her heart. She didn't move an inch while they looked in her ears, eyes, or mouth. When we asked her to lay down she immediately did so. She's such a good girl so as a reward I got a treat that she's never had, Twinkies. I actually really like Twinkies so this wasn't a big sacrifice on my part. I gave one to each of the girls and of course had one myself and off we went. I then turned around to see how my girls were enjoying their new treat and my eyes swept over a cream covered Olivia. I just burst out laughing! The picture doesn't even do it justice, there was pieces of her Twinkie everywhere. While she was eating it she'd shove at least 3 fingers inside to get to the filling and then I'd hear her sucking and I knew she must have found what she was looking for. I have made a mental note to not give her another Twinkie in the car for quite some time but as least I know she loved her surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I've learned that lesson over and over and over again--kids seem to make everything messier in the car. Good luck with PT and OT...hopefully they can get her back on track!

    ReplyDelete