Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Countdown

So poor Savannah is having a hard time grasping when Christmas actually is, I mean she's only 4 so its to be expected. In an attempt to help her out a bit and to throw in something I wanted to do this holiday season anyway we made a paper chain. Now our paper chain isn't your usual run of the mill paper chain, it has service ideas on it. Now not every link has an act of service to do but we have about 16 total to do before Christmas. Savannah is already so excited and as soon as she woke up this morning she asked if she could take a link off the chain and asked what nice thing we were doing today. I got my ideas for service from this BLOG. I'm sure you can think of your own but I liked this list because it had some ideas I'd never thought of or considered before. I obviously didn't use all of her ideas because she has 50 to choose from but I picked ones that would be easy and fun for a 2 and 4 year old and that I knew we could fit into our day. I was really excited for this because I want the girls to learn how fun it is to do things for other people and realize the joys of giving not only receiving. I know that some of my happiest memories are those when I've been serving others and not thinking of my own needs/wants.


UPDATE: So yesterday was a huge success doing our first act of service. We took candy canes to random employees at the mall and Costco. A lot of people thought Savannah was just showing them a candy cane she had gotten but once they realized that she was giving it to them they got an instant smile and happily accepted their treat. One lady was so thankful she gave each of the girls a free stuffed animal from her store. It brought tears to my eyes when she gave them a present back and the girls couldn't have been happier. Savannah loved giving out the candy canes and saying happy holiday's, when we were all done she asked if we could go get more to hand out to people. I'm thinking this really was a great idea and I can't wait to keep doing it threw Christmas and for future years as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment