Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sand vs Rock

So how many of you remember or know about the parable between the wise man and the foolish man? The wise man built his house upon the rock while the foolish man built his on the sand. When the water came in the foolish man's house washed away while the wise man's stood firm. I've been thinking about a lot of different things lately so I have a whole mess of thoughts in my head. They mostly surround my family and what I want for my family. I feel like I bounce back and forth between the wise and foolish man, that my foundation is sometimes built on the sand and its being washed away. Do you sometimes feel that way too? I'm a busy person, I like structure and I enjoy being productive but sometimes I wonder if I'm busy with the best things. What am I really doing to fill my time? I remember when I was working and I'll just make it clear that I have always hated having to go to a work place and have what some view a real job. To toot my own horn though I am a fantastic worker! I always put everything into my job, I go above and beyond, and I'm always thinking of ways to do even better. When I've had a job outside of my home I've felt productive while working and when I've come home. You only have a limited time to get stuff done if your working away from home all day. I feel like I've had more days since I've been home that are putting things off because I can always do them tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, being a stay at home mom is a 24/7 job, you are always on call and you rarely get a brake. It is also the best job I've ever had and the most challenging and fulfilling. Last night I was lying in bed for quite some time thinking about all this. I really am happy with my life, I'm so blessed to have an amazing husband who loves me and works so hard to take care of me and the girls. I am beyond blessed to have 2 amazing children who are constantly keeping me on my toes and teaching me new things. I have what I need in this life. My goal though is to start building my house on a rock, I'll still be busy and productive of course doing things I want and need to do but I want to do better at doing those smaller things that are so important but seem to get pushed aside. I want to get back to where I felt I was on top of strengthening my family, that we read the scriptures daily both individually and as a family, we had family home evenings, we work out, we spend less time watching shows as Savannah calls them and more time doing activities. I know I'll still go between building my house on the sand and rocks but I'd like to be getting closer to the rocks then the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment