Monday, May 21, 2012

I'm A Big Kid Now!

(Here is Olivia cleaning the table between the girls beds.)

So lately I've really been into refinishing things, I've gotten picture frames I've repainted, furniture I've painted, I'm even making a coffee table out of old pallets from Jacob's work. Since I've been in a re-purposing phase I've also really gotten into going to yard sales and thrift stores, I just love getting things for a good deal! Jacob and I decided that by the end of the summer we wanted to find a dresser, a cozy coupe, and a bed for Olivia. We scored and found a almost new cozy coupe last week or the week before so now we are hunting down the dresser and bed. Jacob and I had talked about when we wanted Olivia in a bed and we knew that we at least wanted the girls in the same room by July. We'll be moving again in August and knew that wherever we ended up we wanted the girls to be in a room together. We figured on doing it while still in the house we're in to get them used to the idea. We didn't want them associating moving with having to share a room and maybe think of it as a bad thing. I mentioned the idea of sharing a room to Savannah last week or the week before and that very night she started scolding Jacob for not putting Olivia to sleep in her room. Savannah was instantly in love with the idea of having her sister sleep in the room with her. We told her that we needed to find Olivia a bed first and then they could share a room. The reason behind this is basically because we're lazy. We didn't feel like taking Olivia's crib apart and reassembling it, what if it didn't go well having them sleep together? We didn't want to have to take the crib apart again and then put it back together in Olivia's room. We just decided that since Olivia would be 2 in July it was time she got a bed so once we found one we liked that was inexpensive we'd move the girls into the same room. On Saturday we hit up a ton of yard sales! The day literally got away from us because I think we went to 3 or 4 neighborhood yard sales where multiple houses in a neighborhood have things for sale and then we also went to 4 individual yard sales we happened to be passing while driving to our next destination. The neighborhood sales were kind of a bust and we were a little discouraged and finally decided to head home. Then we saw a sign for a yard sale and decided to see what they had. That's where we saw it! An adorable antique day bed with a mattress, also right next to it were 2 matching headboards that we're adorable. At first I only had eyes for the bed and I made Jacob get out of the car to come check it out. We both liked it and all the parts we needed were there. I kept looking at the headboard and thinking how nice it would be for Savannah to have one for herself. The headboards were $20 each and the daybed was $30, I talked with the owner and told her I was interested in both but I was wondering if we could go down a tad on the price. She mentioned how bad she wanted both out of her garage so she'd do $40 for both. I was sold and put the money in her hand. Jacob had to drop off the girls and I and then head back to pick up the beds, as soon as he got home we put them all together and now the girls share a room and Olivia has a big girl bed.
 
 (Luckily I had some sheets for Olivia's bed but now we need to find a bedspread.)

 
 (I also have plans to do something with the gold knobs, they just don't do it for me.)

 
 (Here is Savannah's new headboard.)

 
 (It actually has two storage compartments behind where I have her pillows, I'm debating on weather to leave them be or cover them with bead board. I'm going to wait till we move since I might like that storage space in our next house.)

 Savannah is ecstatic and she and I had a very long talk before bed about what I expected from her and how I needed her to be an example to Olivia. Olivia loves jumping and playing on her bed and its perfect for her, although it is a bit high so it takes her a little while to climb on by herself. That fist night we put the girls in bed together and Jacob and I had very low expectations of how it would go. Savannah did wonderful! She only got up once to try and coral Olivia back in her bed but other then that Savannah just stayed in bed and even went to sleep all while Olivia kept climbing out and making noise. After an hour we put Olivia in her crib and she went right to sleep. Last night we tried again to see what would happen and low and behold Olivia went right to sleep! She even fell asleep before Savannah did, Savannah was still wonderful and kept quiet and didn't wake up Olivia. Now at 2 Olivia did wake up and come into my room and start hitting my bed to get my attention. I just scooped her up and took her right back in to her bed. She laid right back down and didn't get back up till 8. When I went into there room Olivia was trying to sit up and Savannah was sitting at the head of the bed singing Rock-a-bye-Baby. I'm not sure if Savannah woke Olivia up or not but I was just thrilled with how well the girls did. For nap time today I had to put Olivia in her crib but I'll keep working on that too and we'll see how Olivia does tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment