Saturday, October 6, 2012

Computer Desk

So you know those boring generic laminate desks you can get at Shopko or Walmart? Well that's what this desk used to look like. It was an imitation dark brown wood armoire that looked fine but honestly I'd been toying with the idea of painting it for quite some time. We just happened to have some yellow paint from when we had painted our kitchen years ago and I knew it would be the perfect color for this project. My first step was to take off all the hardware on the desk and set it aside so I didn't lose any pieces I mean it would pretty much suck if I couldn't put the thing back together after working so hard on it. My next step was to prime the entire thing inside and out. Now I'll be honest, when I first started this project I only did the outside but after I had that all done I realized how much I wished I had taken the extra time to paint the inside as well so I went ahead and did it. If I were smarter I would have done it all at once. After my primer was all dry ( I only waited 1 day but I should have waited 2 just to be on the safe side.) I started applying my color. This part was so satisfying, I loved the results and I was so excited. I once again only waited a day to let it dry and I should have waited longer but I have no self control and couldn't wait to use it and get it back together. On the inside I stuck with white just because it feels really clean to me and also because I didn't have enough yellow to even consider using it. For another fun touch I cut down some cork boards I already had and hot glued them to the inside of one of our doors. This way we can hang up things that usually ended up cluttering our work space which isn't that big to begin with. I also added the small baskets on the top shelf to hid extra cords we have which I also already had around the house. In total I think this project took 3 days and cost me $0.00 because I already had primer, paint, cork boards, and baskets. Oh and you get a small glimpse of some of my Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations that I put up, lucky you.




No comments:

Post a Comment